All Saints' Church, Blyford
Southwold Road, B1123
Assistant Curate: The Revd Jane Held
Tel: 07771 556391
Churchwarden: Alison Cackett
Tel: 01986 874442
Blyford is a linear village lining either side of the B1123 road to Southwold. The Church is some distance from the village itself, situated at a crossroads opposite the Queen’s Head Blyford, a lovely small pub that is well used by people across the area. The village is small, 83 houses and a population of 193. It is close to Southwold, and the Blythburgh marshes.
This delightful Suffolk Church dates back to 1068, with the Chancel being added in the 13th Century and the porch and tower in the 15th Century. Mechanisation of agriculture reduced the need for labour and thus the hamlet has not expanded over the years.
A former Bishop of Norwich is buried in the churchyard. Conversely, a former Rector, the Revd Wm Raymond was ejected by Suffolk Committee for Scandalous Ministry for alleged gross misconduct!
The Church is Grade 1 listed, although modest in comparison to others. The font is 13th Century and the sanctuary has a fine Elizabethan altar table with bulbous carved legs.
Services are held monthly at present and attended by an average of seven people. There are several local volunteers, interested in keeping the Church open, who help out with fund-raising events.
A committed small PCC.
A fund-raising committee keeping the Church going.
An annual cycle of much-loved events.
A lay elder.